“We know the importance of science, technology, engineering and math in this region. Our hope with Tech Mania is to get students engaged and excited about STEM to help build our critical workforce of the future.”
In April 2008, the FMA created Tech Mania, a day-long event created to bolster high school students’ interest in STEM-based careers by showcasing the technology that is being designed, created and built right in their own backyard.
Since its inception, more than 1,500 students from several central Maryland counties have received hands-on exposure to career opportunities from several prominent businesses, federal agencies, and colleges in the region. The Tech Mania events have given students the opportunity to experience exciting and innovative technology being utilized to solve complex problems.
The event has been well received with four out of five students indicating Tech Mania has increased in a STEM-related field in the future.
Tech Mania Participating Companies & Agencies:
- Anne Arundel Community College
- Bridges Consulting
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- Capitol College
- Community College of Baltimore County
- DBI Architects
- Defense Information Systems Agency
- Defense Media Activity
- Freedom Consulting
- Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
- Johns Hopkins University
- KeyW Corporation
- L-3 Communications
- Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Praxis Engineering
- Proteus Technologies
- Science Applications International Corporation
- TeleCommunication Systems Inc.
- Towson University
- U.S. Army Research Lab
- Vision Technologies
- The Whiting-Turner Contracting Co.
- Wilhelm Commercial Builders